Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dark Days Before Freedom....

We are staying in Basel's version of the Hanoi Hilton.  It looks retro and cool, but it is a prison until Sunday.  I am working down the street (a 10-minute walk), but coming back in the evening to work in an attempt to wrap things up before we go to Italy.  I perceived subtle themes of mutiny as my colleagues smirkingly asked me whether people from Genentech earn their sabbaticals or if they just decide to take 6 weeks off whenever.  I had to remind them through gritted teeth that they take basically a month off every year, so they probably come out a bit ahead... Methaphorically and literally it is overcast with some rain; haven't had a decent meal yet and I think the Swiss tried to poison Amy our first night here.  Other than that, it's beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Guess Switzerland isn't all darling goats and charming milkmaids. Hang in and we hope you find some great fondue along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you're having to deal with that crap-ola! Tell them to shove their "holiday", and you and Amy go off and enjoy the hell out of Italy!

    ReplyDelete