Thursday, October 15, 2009

Figline Valdarno (27 September -- 2 October)


What is it that Jennifer Oakes said about cooking school?... something like: "Cooking school is for people who don't know how to cook and want to spend a lot of money."  I should have consulted with Jen before booking my cooking class with Claudio Piantini, the kingpin of a gypsy scam operation running out of the hills above Filigne Valdarno.  To be fair, I did cook a lot of dishes, picked up a few things, helped butcher a lamb, and made lunch and dinner for me and Amy Wednesday and Thursday of the week, but I ended up seeing Claudio as some tragic figure in the middle of a swirl of family obligation, a bad marriage to an insane woman, and the need to whore himself out to a U.S. cooking vacation (or whatever the hell they call these culinary program places) outfit to keep it all afloat while his restaurant flounders).  Could just be my opinion, but still.  Got the hell out of there a day early and hightailed it for Florence.

No comments:

Post a Comment